*This recipe requires an ice cream maker
- 3 egg yolks – beaten
- 2 C milk
- 2 C heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 C sugar – divided
- 2 C fresh strawberries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- De-stem strawberries
- In a medium bowl, mash strawberries with 1/3 C sugar
- Place in the refrigerator while making the rest of the recipe
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the egg yolks, milk and the remaining 1/3 C of sugar
- Place over a medium heat just to boiling point (stirring all the time). DO NOT LET IT BOIL. (About 160 degrees)
- Transfer the mixture into a chilled bowl to cool.
- When cool, place in the refrigerator for up to 3 hours, remembering to stir the mixture from time to time.
- Stir together cream and vanilla
- Mix into the strawberry/sugar mixture
- Transfer the complete mixture into an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions
- I use the ice cream maker attachment for my KitchenAid Brand Stand Mixer and it works great!