- 1 lb. bulk breakfast sausage – not links
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 2 heaping wooden-spoonfuls flour
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1- 2 C water – do not use milk
- salt & pepper – to taste
- In a large skillet, heat oil and brown sausage into small chunks (not too small, you do not want crumbles)
- Season with salt & pepper – At this pint, there needs to be enough grease left in pan from the sausage and oil to make the gravy with. If there is no visible grease, stir in a few Tbsp of oil, then proceed
- Once browned, add flour and stir until well combined
- Add water (start with 1 C) & crushed tomatoes
- Depending on how much flour you used, your gravy may get really thick – if so, you will need to add more water to thin out the gravy (but be careful – you do not want runny gravy)
- Stir and simmer for 30 minutes
- Serve over biscuits
- DO NOT REPLACE THE WATER WITH MILK – unless you want Mama Johnson to turn over in her grave – this is brown gravy, not white gravy!
- This recipe was handed down to my grandma from her mom, my great grandma (Mama Johnson). Every time I would go and see my grandma, I would ask her to make this – sooooo yummy!!!!! Don’t ask me where the name came from and even if the spelling is correct, it’s all I remember……LOL. My grandma would sometimes add a little Kitchen Bouquet for a deeper brown color. Enjoy!!!!